I remember how desperate Elaine was, on Seinfeld, to find an apartment she liked.
While that's an exaggeration, it's true that apartments brokers play a major role in the apartment
rental ecosystem of New York, particularly Manhattan.
We've changed that somewhat, and our apartment listings in NY have substantially changed things,
even a recent article in NY Times acknowledges that.
This has helped the good and capable brokers, but hurts the sleazy and ineffective brokers.
They're retaliating with a number of abusive tactics:
- Brokers will post in the "by owner" category
- Fee brokers post in the "broker- no fee" category
- Fee brokers don't disclose fees
- "apartment information vendors" post in the broker sections
- various forms of bait and switch
Remember that we're committed to preserving our culture of trust, and that I take this
kind of crap personally, so we're doing what we can to get rid of this abuse.
We haven't gotten smart enough about this, but we will, and even though we're far from NY,
More to come…