Hey, I just read Richard Clarke's book, which discusses White House counter-terrorist policy over the last thirty years or so.
This guy's the real deal, and that's been confirmed by the Bush administration in the nature of their attacks and their vetting the book.
- counter terrorism policy was something of a mess as the Bush administration took power
- the Bush folks came to power, with the intent of war with Iraq
- they ignored counter terrorism, made it very low priority
- no credible reason has been given for the war
- no serious planning was done to "win the peace"
- the military guys did great
- the highest levels of the intelligence community were told to tell their bosses what
they wanted to hear, even though they knew better
- intelligence people overall are doing a great job
- the WMD stuff was deliberate deception
- the Iraq war has greatly helped terrorism
Someone smarter than me has referred to the mess in Iraq as a "vanity war"
I'm now calling Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Wolfowitz, the "Three Stooges of the Apocalypse".