Folks, some more info on the lawsuit filed against us in Chicago, including info that most reports are missing:
- craigslist and craigslist users have an exemplary record for abiding by fair housing law, and promoting equal opportunity housing for everyone
- we're being sued for an extremely small number of postings by a few of our users, in many cases for phrases like "near a church" or "there's a kosher deli around the corner"
- the number of actual discriminatory ads is honestly like one or two out of every 100,000 — what publication has a better record than that?
- we make it really easy for the community to help us out by removing such ads, and housing advocates normally really like our system
- we exercise NO EDITORIAL CONTROL over listings
- Federal law explicitly releases us from liability regarding this
- a much stronger suit of this kind involving roommates.com was recently dismissed as baseless
Folks, PLEASE HELP US OUT and keep flagging bad stuff of any kind