I don't know if we can do enough for returning veterans and their families, but we can try to get the word out.
The Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America are doing the heavy lifting.
This is a week for veterans, and if you want to see what you can do, check out iava.org/veteransweek2008.
Over 200 events have been posted already, and more are coming in every day. So far on the list, there's a parade in San Diego, CA, an 8K run in Juneau, AK, and a "Vets Day Dance" in Davenport, IA, to name just a few.
I'll be at the IAVA gala Wednesday night.
Here are the top 10 issues that we feel the Obama administration should address.
1. Ensure Thorough, Professional, and Confidential Mental Health Screening
2. Advance-Fund VA Health Care
3. Overhaul the Military and Veterans’ Disability System
4. Cut the Claims Backlog in Half
5. End the Passive VA System
6. Combat the Shortage of Mental Health Professionals
7. Create Tax Incentives for Patriotic Employers
8. Fight Homelessness among Veterans
9. Give Families Access to Mental Health Support
10. Repeal the Waiver of High-Deployment Pay