Please check out Striking a New Balance
Unsurprisingly, but completely contrary to some of the
sensationalistic journalism we’ve seen these past few weeks, the record
is clear that use of craigslist classifieds is associated with far lower rates of violent crime than print classifieds, let alone rates of violent crime pertaining to American society as a whole.
The relative safety of craigslist compared to print classifieds is likely due to some combination of:
- Measures such as blocking, screening, and telephone verification
- Community moderation via our flagging system
- Electronic trail ensures violent criminals are quickly caught
- Personal safety tips prominently posted
- Unusually high level of cooperation with law enforcement
Community moderation as exemplified by our flagging system is
arguably the most successful system ever conceived for eliminating
inappropriate activity from a massive internet community. Working in
tandem with various other protective technologies, it is an inescapable
force to be reckoned with for anyone set on abusing free internet
communications across a broad array of posting types.