Our hotel was adjacent to an old monastery in Charterhouse Square.
The Charterhouse is on the site of a former Carthusian monastery founded in 1371, by Walter de Manny,
on what is now the north side of the square. It was established near a
1348 plague pit, located in the square, which formed the largest mass
grave in London during the Black Death when around half the population died of the plague. Tens of thousands of bodies were buried here. The name is derived as an Anglicisation of La Grande Chartreuse, whose order founded the monastery.