UK government terms used differently

UK government terms used differently


Well, I was confused at the start of the Traveling Geeks tour, but have learned a coupla things. This is my (over-simplified) version.

The "government" in the UK is the majority party, who selects ministers including the Prime Minister.  It's somewhat analagous to "administration" in the US. (The majority might be a coalition.)

There's no formal transition period in the UK, and far fewer political appointees.

The opposition party maintains as "shadow cabinet" which is ready to replace the existing cabinet immediately.

Feedback appreciated, I'd really like to get this right.



Rachel Clarke

Nearly there. Strictly speaking the monarch 'chooses' the Prime Minister and asks them to form a government – the choice usually being the leader of the majority party in the Commons. The Prime Minister then selects ministers, in effect choosing the government, most of whom whould have been there before (if they have been rC-elected) or in the Shadow cabinet.
The monarchy website gives a good explanation of the role of the monarch mentioning the time in 1963 when Douglas-Home was not sure he wanted the job.

Sam Greenfield

To further complicate matters, keep in mind that most parliamentary systems are not two-party systems like the U.S. Government. When the PM forms a new government, he or she needs to take into account any other parties that helped them form the government.

Comments are closed.