It's time to get influence peddlers, particularly politicians and lobbyists, to tell us what's the deal with money in politics, so we can hold elected officials accountable.
The Sunlight Foundation released seven guidelines to get serious about this, they're leaders in gov't accountability and transparency.
Check out their ideas for helping us keep the politicians honest, by helping us figure out who's paying for what:
- Require corporations and unions to report independent political expenditures to the FEC electronically
- Labor Unions should also report to Department of Labor, Corporations to the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Strengthen lobbying disclosure laws to create real-time online scrutiny of lobbying contacts and meetings
- Make corporations and unions state in advertising that they bought the ad and that they approve of the ad’s message
- Monthly instead of quarterly filing of campaign finance disclosures to the FEC
- Give the Justice Department, FEC and SEC the teeth they need to prosecute anyone who breaks or disregards the rules
- All information should be online, searchable, sortable, downloadable and machine-readable
Right now, the influence peddlers have lots of loopholes to work with, this closes a bunch.
(Disclaimer: I’m on the board of Sunlight, because of this leadership.)