Hey, I want to congratulate Leave No Veteran Behind and their team for all their hard work, and for winning the first Bonus Challenge in the CrowdRise Veterans Charity Challenge. They've really got their boots on the ground helping out Vets and their families.
The Challenge was: "Raise the Most between May 28th and June 3 at 12:00pm EST and you'll win $5000 for your charity."
Leave No Veteran Behind (LNVB) has accomplished a lot in the four years they've been around. Here's a brief summary of what they've done:
- Paid off the student loans of 7 Veterans totaling just under $100k
- Directly employed over 150 Vets in transitional work with Chicago Public Schools
- Paid out over $1.2 million dollars in transitional wages to Vets and their families
- Trained over 250 Veterans in employment skills to include:
- private investigation
- administrative support
- information technology
- executive management skills
- Decreased youth violence on the Southside of the City of Chicago, according to public school behavior records, police department crime rates, and qualitative data aggregated by the University of Chicago's Consortium on School Research
- Currently, LNVB serves over 7,000 Chicago school children on a daily basis with safety and mentorship services
- LNVB places Veterans in long-term employment scenarios
- LNVB has partnered with West Point Military Academy to deliver STEM training to over 100 youth in Chicago
- LNVB has advocated for the State of Illinois' Veteran Earned Income Tax Credit to help decrease statewide Veteran unemployment rates
- 82% of every dollar goes to direct program support
I'm honored to be able to give money to this nonprofit. I just figure that if someone's willing to risk their life for me, I should give back, and this is the least that I can do. A nerd's gotta do what a nerd's gotta do.